Attorney Information
Harry Bernstein - Attorney

Cleveland Office
6516 Detroit Ave #11
Cleveland, OH 44102
Phone: 216-502-2098

Kent Office
174 C Currie Hall Pkwy
Kent, OH 44240
Phone: 330-754-0575

Toll Free Phone: 800-930-9882


Our Podcast Feed
Subscribe to Our Audio Blog
Google +1
Advertising Disclaimer
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice AND MAY BE CONSIDERED FOR ADVERTISING PURPOSES. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

postheadericon Are Ohio Social Security Disability Payments Taxable?

Your Ohio Social Security Disability / Insurance (SSD / SSI) benefits may be subjected to being

bded936e9c46429 Are Ohio Social Security Disability Payments Taxable? taxed. This would depend upon how you file, and if you have other sources of income.  If your Social Security benefits are your only source of income which you have received in the past year, then more than likely these benefits are not subject to income tax.  If you have earned other money , then you will need to calculate whether your adjusted gross income is grater than the limits currently set by the Internal Revenue Service.

Social Security Disability Sole Source Income

If your sole source of income during the taxable year was your SSD / SSI benefits then it is not necessary to file tax return with the IRS.  The income from your benefits will generally fall below the limits set by the government and none of this income will be subject to federal taxes.  This rule also applies to all married couples filing jointly, where neither spouse has any income other than their SSD / SSI benefits.

Other Sources of Income – Calculations and Limits

If any individual, or spouse in the case of married couples, has earned income from other sources, then you should complete an IRS 1040 Form to calculate if you have any income subject to tax.  The form an accompanying instructions will explain how to make these calculations, and will provide the limits to determine what, if any, of your income is subject to tax. As a general rule, an individual filing single, may be subject to tax if their adjusted income falls above $25,000, while those who file jointly might have to pay tax if their adjusted income rises above $32,000.

Although these rules may seem simple, it would be wise to consult a tax professional to review your specific set of facts.  You can also find more information at the IRS website online.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply